Sunday, December 10, 2006

IPC !

IPC = Indian Penal Code.
I have a friend whom I havent met personally yet, but I did hold good conversations with.
So once I ventured into discussion about IPC.

1. Seems like there are 511 sections in it. The moment I saw 511, the only thing I could remember is it is the largest number you can represent with 9-bits. Few DSPs have maximum loopcount of 511 because they could only afford 9-bits for its representation. Anyway, this should say that I am a true electrical engineer.
2. IPR laws are still in nascent in India and there seems to be a growing interest in it.
3. Section 302 is what we hear the most in movies. yes, you guessed it, the capital punishment. For some reason I thought it was removed, or amended. Seems like they do sentence people to death. Side line question: what authority does the judge or the system possess to kill someone? oh btw, here is an interesting trivia: each time a judge sentences someone to death, they break the nib of the pen with which they write the sentence. you know why? it is supposed to symbolize that they shouldnt get anymore of such cases where they need to sentence death penalty. I wonder what they would do if they start writing with ballpoint pens. I believe they would just throw the pen away :)
4. Two kind of laws: civil and criminal, broadly.

No comments: