Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Subtle difference

Yesterday I was listening to news on HLN and the anchor said, "how can two twins be born a year apart? I've the details when we come back." before going to a commercial break. I waited for the break to get over and listened to her give this explanation. "The first of the twins was born at 11:59pm on Dec 31st, 2011, and the second one at 12:01am on Jan 1st, 2012. Welcome to the world twins." Now I kept thinking how is that an year apart? The news should read as "two twins born in two different years..." I guess they just used that "born a year apart" phrase to generate sensation and curiosity among the listeners.
I think a subtle difference in the words used can lead to completely different reaction from the people. Challenges vs problems is a classical example. If you use "we have a plan but there are a few challenges.." vs "we have a plan but there a few problems...", the challenges statement raises a positive thinking in the brain vs the problems one which raises a negative thinking. Choose your words so as to get a positive response from others.

No comments: