Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Windows Vista sucks!

I have no other way of putting it. I strongly believe Windows Vista sucks. I am currently spending more time upgrading it from what I got it packaged than actually using it. The screen goes blank for God knows why. It uses most of Light box effects. And for any small thing it asks user to decide what to do. I am not against it. But the way it interrupts user in most idiotic and irritating way. Just blanks the screen and one pop up pops up and gives couple of options. There is nothing you can do when that happens. Once I was on a call on Skype and this dumb Vista prompts me for a restart of course using a pop up.I hated it.
At one time I was using Mozilla firefox. For no particular reason I can no longer chose File, Edit, View or any other button. It will not stop. It keys changing from File, Edit and all other buttons rapidly. I tried typing youtube.com. Guess how it came up on the address bar? It came out as moc.ebutouy what crap?
I would think that any business if it rolls out any new version of its products it would be better than what exists already. Not the case with Microsoft. I guess that's why they keep rolling these updates everyday almost.
You should see how much time it talas for Vista to show the control panel. It is easier and faster to search web using google than to search your small hard disk. Coming to speak of hard disk, almost 40% of my 80 GB hard disk is occupied by vista. The market is moving towards reducing the weight, the power etc from what it is now. If thins oft is aware of it, shouldn't it be working towards reducing the footprint of Vista?
Do any of you guys use Vista? If so, do let me know of your experiences.

6 comments:

Rocky said...

Vista, as such, was designed to be the best OS ever seen. The idea originally had three features. If those were implemented, then Vista would have been the best OS ever seen but, the Vista that we see now, does not have those features..

and regarding the experiences, I downloaded office2007 and tried working with it for a couple of days. It sucks. The panel bars and toolbars consume most space on the page. You can hardly view your document. And, as you know, Microsoft's strong point is the UI. It's living on that..
Vista has the best colors and UI and that's what takes up about 40% of the resources

suresh said...

cool! I wonder what those three features are. To me it sounds like Microsoft is not any more friendly than other applications I do admire their standards of UI that all other people are trying to emulate. Right now I don't know why they are still charging for word, Excel etc or there are lot of online applications that home users can use.
Anyway, it you know what those features that Viste initially should have had , let me know.

Anonymous said...

I remember only two of them
1) Aqua (maybe) - improved GUI
2) WinFS - the file system with similar xml based storage. Data remains in the same place but the pointers are moved.
Third has something to do with security. Group policy and etc

suresh said...

I wonder how they define UI. is it the appeal, the look or ease of usage? if it is the looks, then i agree it is more user friendly.
anyway, whats going on rocky?

Anonymous said...

UI as it says is User Interface.
It means only looks and how easily a user is able to go to a particular screen.
Let's say a user wants to draw a table in Microsoft word, UI means how easily is he able to access the toolbars and then drawing and then Table option.

If you want some info about something, how easily are you able to access it. Not the amount of time taken to access it.
that's how UI is defined.

suresh said...

That's a crappy definition. UI definition should also include user experience in my view. otherwise, a website that has awesome graphics, ease of use, but takes shit loads of time will score higher in UI.