Tuesday, January 22, 2008

New words threat I learnt today

I always read books and most of the times I get lot of words that I don't know the exact meaning but can make out the implications of the word. couple of days ago I wanted to switch to the mode where I can get the exact meaning. Earlier I used to go to dictionary.com. But it was not up to mark, I started getting pop-ups and it started to get annoying. I started looking for desktop dictionary software. One of them is word web. I like this since now I can read any article online and get the meaning of any word immediately. I just have to press the combinational key presses to get the meaning. very simple and easy.
Anyway, with that, here are some words that I learnt today.
  • manifesto: public declaration of intentions
  • borough: One of the administrative divisions of a large city
  • ablutions: The ritual washing of a priest's hands or of sacred vessels
  • ensconced: fix firmly
  • filibuster': one who gives long lectures in effort to delay legislation that one opposes

No comments: